How Essential Oils Help Relieve Stress
Smell brings you into the present moment in a Snap! Think of how what you are smelling now is in the immediate present. Keeping the mind from wandering into a negative thought pattern or obsessive thinking allows the body to relax and relieves the stress.
Negative thoughts or obsessive non-stop thinking is exhausting! Essential oils help to stop the thoughts with smell and relax the body with their specific properties. Relaxed body = relaxed mind = stress relief.
Quality, therapeutic grade essential oils can also help you achieve a balanced and grounded feeling allowing for a much improved meditation and relaxation process. Being scattered and attempting to meditate is certainly a challenge. Feeling balanced and grounded = successful and enhanced meditating.
How to Use Essential Oils During Meditation
- Topically – add a few drops (depending on strength and type of oil) to a carrier such as massage or coconut oil. Apply to chest, neck, hands. Breathe Deep and Relax.
- Inhale – diffuse in the room with a diffuser or sprinkle a few drops in the palm of your hand with carrier (massage oil, coconut oil) if needed or simply sprinkle a few drops on a tissue if you prefer. Breathe Deep and Relax.
- Make a spray/spritzer by adding the oil of your choice to a spray bottle then adding a carrier which can be as simple as 3.5 ounces of water (distilled water plus 3 tsp of grain alcohol, vodka or witch hazel is even better). Add 5-10 drops of essential oil to start and if you prefer add more depending on type of oil and desired strength. Spritz, Breathe Deep and Relax. Use throughout the day if needed.
Best Meditation Essential Oils and Aromatherapy
- Lavender – for stress relief and to relax the body, blends well with Rosemary
- Orange – for clarity and focus
- Lemon – for focus
- Cedarwood – for relaxing and calming without creating drowsiness
- Frankincense – to deepen the breath and ground a scattered mind/body
- Rose Oil – encourages creativity and feelings of love, both for the self and others. Assists visualization
- Rosemary – promotes metal clarity; can be stimulating and energizing; combine with Lavender for a more relaxing blend. I often use Rosemary when I just can’t clear my head of some obsessive thought
- Vetiver – calming and grounding, great for restoring balance
Give essential oils a try for an enhanced relaxation and meditation experience! If in doubt, or new to essential oils, begin with Lavender.
For a short post on Four Easy Ways to Quiet Your Mind to Relieve Stress, click here